Dr. George W. Merchant, a skilled druggist and businessman, purchased this property in 1833. This then became the first home of Gargling Oil. It was here, after a series of experiments, he brought out a medicine to be used in the treatment of certain diseases of horses. During this era, horses were used extensively to pull boats on the canal and post coaches over mail routes. Therefore, diseases among the many times overworked horses, were common. In 1854 it was discovered that Gargling Oil would cure certain human illnesses as well. Mr. John Hodge became a member of the firm which produced Garglng Oil. He initiated international advertising, which helped make Gargling Oil familiar to people of nearly the entire civilized world. One advertisement read, "Gargling Oil, good for man or beast." The business was expanded to include Oak Orchard Acid Spring Water, which was also widely known to cure certain illnesses. The business closed in 1947. However, today both the bottles for Gargling Oil and Oak Orchard Acid Spring Water, which were made at the Lockport Glass Company and came in many colors and sizes, are considered collectors' items.