The Louise Short Baptist Widows' and Orphans' Home, consisting of a 10-room brick residence and related buildings on 80 acres of land fronted on Main Street, Evergreen, for more than ¼ mile.
It was established by the Alabama Baptist State Convention in 1891 and was chartered by the Legislature of Alabama in the same year.
The idea had been approved by the Alabama Baptist State Convention in 1863 as a haven for children of soldiers killed in the War Between the States.
The Home opened on March 8, 1863, with the Reverend John W. Stewart as the first superintendent. For 30 years it served on this site.
On June 14, 1923, it was removed to Troy, Alabama, and in 1938 was renamed The Alabama Baptist Childrens' Home.