Located in the tank-like depths of Palisade (12-mile) Canyon, Palisade first named Palisades - surveyed and laid out by the Central Pacific Railroad in February, 1870. During the 1870's it rivaled Elko and Carlin as a departure point on the C.P. for wagon, freight and stage lines to Mineral Hill, Eureka and Hamilton.
In October, 1875, with completion of Eureka and Palisade Railroad, Palisade became the northern terminus and operating headquarters for the little ninety-mile narrow gage line stretching southward to Eureka between 1875 and 1930. The town was the principal transfer and shipping point on the Central Pacific (Southern Pacific), and on the Western Pacific Railroad after its 1919 completion.
At its peak, the town boasted a population of 300. It was a self-contained community and railroading was its business. There were passenger and freight station, and sidings on both the Southern Pacific and Western Pacific Railroads, and a large ore transfer dock between the narrow gage and standard gage lines. All Eureka and Palisade (Eureka Nevada after 1912) headquarters facilites were situated here.
After the little narrow gage line ran its last train in September, 1936, Palisade went into a long decline. The post office was finally closed in 1962.