An outpost of Spain's far flung empire at its greatest extent, this fort was completed before 1800 from plans drawn by Alberto de Córdoba in 1795. Its major action came under Corporal José Velásquez on March 22, 1803, in the "Battle of San Diego Bay" with the American Brig Lelia Byrd, which was smuggling sea otter pelts.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 69
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the U. S. Department of the Navy, Casa de Espana, San Diego Canoneers, San Diego Archaeological Society, and Squibob Chapter, E Clampus Vitus, March 22, 1981.