Emphasizing functional requirements as well as traditional Chesapeake Tidewater architecture, Gertrude Sawyer designed 26 Colonial Revival buildings for Patterson's Point Farm from 1932 to 1955. A graduate of the first class (1919) of the Cambridge School of Domestic and Landscape Architecture for Women, Sawyer was one of the first women admitted into the American Institute of Architects (AIA).
Point Farm was Sawyer's largest and most diverse project. This work consisted of designing a gentleman farmer's mansion and several farm complexes containing numerous outbuildings, and a show barn for Mr. Patterson's prize Black Angus cattle.
Since 1983, the Point Farm buildings have been renovated to house the Museum's administration, maintenance and exhibit design offices, the Visitor Center and the Breckinridge Education Center, while retaining the look created by Ms. Sawyer in the early 1930s.
(Inscription under the photo in the upper center-left) Gertrude Sawyer standing at the Beach House construction site.
(Inscription under the photos in the upper center-right) First photo-Aerial view of the Farm Manager's Complex. The brown barn in the back is one of the few buildings left on the property that predate Mr. Patterson's purchase. Second photo-Riverside view of the brick mansion designed for Mr. Patterson by Gertrude Sawyer.
(Inscription under the photo in the upper center-far right) Originally a cattle barn, this building now serves as a Pavilion and exhibit area for historic farm equipment.
(Inscription under the photos in the upper far right) This gazebo exhibits signature Sawyer design details that were used throughout the Point Farm architecture. Architectural detail of cupola design. Design elements of this fence, for example the pointed posts, can be seen throughout the Park.