A Golf Club on the Plains of Abraham

A Golf Club on the Plains of Abraham (HM1J6X)

Location: Québec, Québec Communauté-Urbaine-de-Québec
Country: Canada

N 46° 48.235', W 71° 13.029'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 902 views
Inscription

Un club de golf sur les plaines d'Abraham

— (1874-1915) —

English:
When the British troops went back to England in 1871, they left free their drill field, then known as "Cove Fields". The rising popularity of golf in the province of Quebec prompted fans of the game to establish the Royal Quebec Golf Club (1874) and occupy the vacant land.
A course was laid out with fourteen holes, four of which golfers would play twice to come up the regulation number of eighteen. A round of the course was not simply a relaxing diversion, as the names of the holes suggest and was made even more challenging by the cliff plunging down to the St. Lawrence River below.
The grass was initially maintained by a dairyman's cattle, which later gave way to a horse drawn mechanical mower. A chalet, near where the Cross of Sacrifice stands today, was placed at the golfer's disposal.
An elite sport

Proper attire for the sport was suitable (red jacket imported from England, grey trousers, matching shirt and tie) and some golfers even wore gloves. The Royal Golf Club, a preserve of the English-speaking elite of Quebec, accepted its first French-Canadian member, Jean-Georges Garneau, in 1890. He was mayor of the city of Quebec (1906-1910), first chairman of the National Battlefields Commission (1908-1939) and president of the Royal Quebec Golf Club (1920-1921).
Cove Fields: a public park

After the creation of the National Battlefields Commission Park in 1908, the flow of visitors to Cove Fields steadily increased and work to develop the site made golfing a more and more hazardous pastime. This situation coincided with an offer of land at Courville, where the Royal Quebec Golf Club moved in 1915. In 1925, the club relocated to Boischatel, where it remains today.

French:
Quand le troupes britanniques regagnèrent l'Angleterre en 1871, elles lassaient libre leur champ
d'exercices, alors appelé «Cove Fields». La popularité montante du golf au Québec suggéra à ses adeptes de créer le «Royal Québec Golf Club» (1874) et d'occuper ce terrain devenu vacant.
On aménagea un parcours de quatorze trous, dont quatre où les golfeurs repassaient pour compléter les dix-huit trous réglementaires. Le parcours n'était pas de tout repos comme l'indiquent le nom des trous qui le composent, sans compter le précipice qui se jette dans le fleuve.
Au début, la pelouse était entretenue par les vaches d'un laitier; elles furent remplacées plus tard par une faucheuse mécanique tirée par un cheval. Un chalet, situé non loin d'où se trouve aujourd'hui la Croix du Sacrifice, était mis à la disposition des golfeurs.

Un sport d'élite

Pour les adeptes, le port du costume était de mise (veston rouge importé d'Angleterre, pantalon gris, chemises et cravates assorties), certains portaient même les gants blancs.
Le «Royal Québec Golf Club» réservé à l'elite anglophone de Québec, accepta en 1890 son premier membre canadien-français, Jean-George Garneau. Celui-ci était maire de la ville de Québec (1906-1939) (sic), premier president de la Commission des champs de bataille nationaux (1908-1939) et également président de Royal Québec (1920-1921).

Les «Cove Fields»: un parc public


Depuis la création du parc des Champs-de-Bataille nationaux (1908), les «Cove Fields» accueillaient de plus en plus de visiteurs et les travaux d'aménagement en cours rendaient la pratique du golf de plus en plus périlleuse . Cette situation coïncidant avec l'offre d'un terrain à Courville, décida le Royal Quebec d'y aménager en 1915. En 1925, il se réinstalla à Boischatel, où il est encoure aujourd'hui.
Details
HM NumberHM1J6X
Tags
Placed ByParks Canada Parcs
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Tuesday, February 17th, 2015 at 1:02pm PST -08:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)19T E 330826 N 5185761
Decimal Degrees46.80391667, -71.21715000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 46° 48.235', W 71° 13.029'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds46° 48' 14.1" N, 71° 13' 1.74" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling East
Closest Postal AddressAt or near Avenue George VI, Québec Québec , CA
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?