Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway
— Johnson-Jolls House —Ambrose C. Johnson (1823-1894) and his wife Mary Abbey (1826-1901) of Hamburg came to Orchard Park about 1855. In 1858 Ambrose began a partnership with Charles Hewson, founding Johnson & Hewson's Dry Goods. The store, located immediately north on the corner of S. Buffalo and E. Quaker Roads, was a successful mercantile endeavor. Enamored with Italianate architecture, the Johnsons built this gracious home in 1870, where it stands proudly today. They spent their remaining years in residence. Johnson House - 1900. After the death of her parents, daughter Ava Johnson rented the house to Dr. Willard Burton Jolls (1870-1963) and his bride of four years, Ida Markham (1869-1958), both from Cattaraugus County. Dr. Willard Jolls made house calls. Note the barn which replaced the barn lost in the 1902 conflagration at the Four Corners. Dr. Jolls' frantic efforts saved the house. The metal framework supports a windmill which pumped water for the homestead. Dr. Jolls, a graduate of the Univerity at Buffalo Medical School, soon thereafter opened practice in Orchard Park, a community of 350 residents at the time. In 1902, Dr. Jolls purchased the home, first using the front hall and south front room as his waiting room and office, but eventually creating an office at the rear. He served as a beloved country doctor for some 65 years, during which time he delivered more than 1,200 babies amongst his other duties. He served as Orchard Park Health Officer for many years, and was a vigorous proponent for improved sanitary conditions. This eventually led to the development of the community's modern sanitation system. For years he was a contributor of a weekly health column to the Orchard Park Press. Dr. Jolls donated a portion of his land to the Town of Orchard Park for construction of a new municipal building, which stands today to the south. The building was dedicated in 1949. Governor Thomas E. Dewey honors Orchard Park at the Municipal Building dedication, 1949, built on land donated by Dr. Jolls. Left to Right: Mrs. Willard B. (Ida) Jolls, Supervisor Clarence F. Henning, Governor Dewey, Mayor Loren G. Roth, and Dr. Willard B. Jolls. Having no children, they left their house to long-time friend and housekeeper Millie M. Michelfelder, whose estate subsequently sold it to the Town of Orchard Park in 1979. The Town anticipated providing for future expansion of the Municipal Building, but after several months, consultants advised the the Jolls House was unsuitable for conversion to a governmental facility. Sections of the building were rented to professionals until March 1996. It was then determined to be in the town's best interest to convert the entire building to a museum. The Orchard Park Historical Society was named as its operator. This wonderful property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The home of Dr. and Mrs. Jolls for many years, this house stands as a tribute to an important part of Orchard Park's history. The Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway is a 70 mile route encompassing five towns and three villages within Erie County, New York. For a listing of points of interest along the byway, go to www.wnyssb.org .
|Placed By||Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, February 10th, 2015 at 9:02am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 684603 N 4737382|
|Decimal Degrees||42.76675000, -78.74371667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 46.005', W 78° 44.623'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 46' 0.3" N, 78° 44' 37.38" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 4295-4301 NY-277, Orchard Park NY 14127, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.