Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway
— Godard Town Hall —Godard Town Hall was gifted to the Town of Concord by local benefactress Calista Goddard in 1902, to be utilized for an opera house and office space. With the gift came the promise from the Town that the building always be for public use. The building was originally one and a half stories in height. As part of the F.D.R.'s Works Project Administration, it was significantly modified in 1935. A plaque signifying that event graces the main entrance to the building. Godard Hall front elevation, early 1900's. The original Greek revival portico and columns were removed along with the balustrade. The fixed windows on the first floor were replaced and a pediment was added to distinguish the center structure. This created a building facade with a colonial revival influenced style. Basement office space was added to make the building suitable for municipal purposes. Today, Godard Hall houses various town offices, including that of the town supervisor, assessor, clerk, and justices. This beautiful old building hosts many public meetings, and several service and public benefit organizations avail themselves of its facilities. Soldiers Monument and Godard Memorial Hall, circa 1903. Setting: Godard Memorial Hall is located in the middle of the Village of Springville's historic district. The building faces two historic properties: Fiddler's Green Park and the WPA era Springville Post Office Building. The adjacent parking lot west of the building is shared with the Springville Center for the Arts, which now occupies the century old First Baptist Church. A few steps from the Godard Hall property, at its southwest corner, is the Lucy Bensley Center. The Center was built in 1897 as a home for the Universalist Church. This beautiful old structure has been owned by the Town of Concord since 1928, and is now utilized by the Concord Historical Society as a genealogy library. Physical Features: The foundation of the building consists of rough hewn fieldstone that originally projected above grade by three feet. Exterior walls are constructed of brick masonry. The main entrance consists of a concrete walkway. A ramp and metal railings have been added over time for equal accessibility. A metal fire escape is attached to the west side of the building to provide emergency egress. Of significance is that the building contains the house's original stage on the main floor. What was once the balcony is still intact, despite the fact it today is used as office space. Godard Hall, post 1935 WPA era modifications. The conversion to office space was undertaken in 1979, and included the installation of an elevator to access all levels. This resulted in over 12,000 square feet of usable space. A power operated front door was installed in 2008 to comply with Americans with Disabilities Act requirements. Other than the cosmetic changes described, Godard Hall exists much as it did after the WPA remodeling. Godard's Hall rich history includes three appearances by orator, lecturer and presidential candidate William Jennings Bryan. The Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway is a 70 mile route encompassing five towns and three villages within Erie County, New York. For a listing of points of interest signs aling the byway go to www.wnyssb.org .
|Placed By||Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, February 10th, 2015 at 9:01am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 691753 N 4709006|
|Decimal Degrees||42.50966667, -78.66596667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 30.58', W 78° 39.958'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 30' 34.8" N, 78° 39' 57.48" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 86 Franklin St, Springville NY 14141, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.