Plaza Dedication October 8, 1999On this site was located the McPherson Town Company Building built in 1873 at a cost of $1,250.00. It was the headquarters of all government and civic activity for the little village as a court house, city hall, school house, church meeting place, as well as newspaper office. The building, along with all of the buildings in the block, was destroyed by a fire on March 1, 1883. A large hotel was then built and named the Union Hotel, later to be known as the McCourt. Here in 1887 the city hosted the Kansas State House of Representatives in an effort to relocate the State Capitol to McPherson. The hotel building was demolished in 1984 to accommodate a building expansion of the McPherson Bank & Trust Co., the town's first bank which was organized in 1878. The McPherson Bank & Trust Co. created this beautiful plaza for the people of McPherson as an outdoor civic center for this community's many activities. Today the City of McPherson accepts this plaza as a gift from the Bank of America, and rededicates its use to all citizens of the McPherson community.
|Placed By||City of McPherson|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, February 8th, 2015 at 5:01pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 616437 N 4247768|
|Decimal Degrees||38.37053333, -97.66708333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 22.232', W 97° 40.025'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 22' 13.92" N, 97° 40' 1.5" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 100-150 W Marlin St, McPherson KS 67460, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.