In June of 1872 Saline County obtained ownership of the North East Quarter of Section 25 for, and to be used as, "a country farm and asylum for the poor" except an one acre tract to be used as a cemetery. This site is the one acre tract known as the Saline County Cemetery. The first burial was in 1873 and the last burial in 1927. The cemetery was officially closed in 1948.
There are records that indicated 62 people were buried at this site however, at the time of restoration (1988), there was no evidence that any monuments had ever been erected. The markers that are located in the cemetery show the location of the graves, however the individual graves cannot be identified. A common marker/plaque is located in the center of the cemetery.
No records could be located that indicated that the cemetery was ever formally dedicated or blessed. On May 28, 1990, Father Kerry Ninemier representing the Salina Ministerial Association conducted a blessing during a formal dedication ceremony.
Although this section was land traditionally referred to as "the poor farm" that term was a misnomer. At this [sic - the] time this section was developed Saline County did not have a hospital, retirement home, nursing home or residential center for the indigent - The County Poor Farm served all these purposes. Not all people interred at this cemetery were residents of the County Farm.
[Marker listing burials not transcribed]