The "Highspeed Line" was officially opened June 9, 1918. For a long time it was the fastest mode of transportation between Buffalo and Niagara Falls. The travel time between the foot of Main Street in Buffalo and the foot of Falls Street in Niagara Falls was approximately one hour. The line was discontinued August 20, 1937, and demolition began September 28, 1937. These large cut stones were removed by the U.S. Navy Seabee Veterans of America, Island X-8, Tonawanda NY. They were taken from the last bridge abutment near Witmer and River Road N. Tonawanda, NY on May 24, 2000. They were taken to the fisherman parking lot and then installed on both sides of the walkway on July 3, 2000.