Sweet Spring Hotel
The Sweet Spring Hotel was established about 1887 at the corner of Pine Street and Spring, then known as Rice Street, with A.S. Capps as proprietor. The spacious three-story frame structure was painted white with dark trim color accenting the simple decorative details of multiple large windows and verandahs. The glass-enclosed dining room and parlor conservatory for guests occupied a two-story wing.
The hotel was situated adjacent to the Sweet Spring and publicized its central location. A directory of 1900 date claimed "table service best of the market, electric cars at the door, rates $1 per day". T.J. Brumfield succeeded Capps as proprietor until 1913 when Robert H. Huntington, a medical specialist from Mississippi and son-in-law of Festus Orestes (F.O.) Butt, long-time Eureka Springs attorney (from 1897-1971), acquired the building. The doctor equipped the building with the latest innovations for treatment of patients, including an operating room, and established Huntington Infirmary, the city's first modern hospital.
The hospital was fitted with the latest modern equipment and the building provided a light and well-ventilated environment for convalescents. Several local doctors made use of the facility including Pace, Bolton, Albert and Pearl Tatman and J.F. John. Dr. Huntington closed the infirmary in 1929 as it was no long self-sustaining financially. That same year a community-wide effort resulted in the opening of the Don Sawyer Hospital, forerunner of the present facility.
The compassionate purpose of Huntington Infirmary was best symbolized by two carved stone figures which flanked the stair steps at the entry beside Spring Street: a lion and a lamb lying side by side, symbols of a peaceable kingdom where suffering and want could no longer be found.
Sweet Spring Home
New owner, Mrs. Arch Kimberling, reopened the structure as a residential hotel in 1930. The building fell victim to fire in the early 1940's and the site remained vacant for more than half a century, until the existing building was constructed in 1994 by Charles and Janet Epley to house Carroll County Abstract & Title Co.
|Placed By||Greater Eureka Springs Chamber of Commerce and the Community Development Partnership|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, January 4th, 2015 at 5:03pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 433783 N 4029062|
|Decimal Degrees||36.40445000, -93.73848333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 36° 24.267', W 93° 44.309'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||36° 24' 16.02" N, 93° 44' 18.54" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||501, 479|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 101-151 U.S. 62-City Route, Eureka Springs AR 72632, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.