First Natural Gas Well in Shackelford County
— (2 miles NE) —The appearance in 1908 of oil and gas in water wells in this vicinity prompted the Texas Company (later Texaco, Inc.) In June 1909 to begin leasing large tracts of land. After a surface geological survey, a wooden derrick complete with cable tools and steam engine was erected by contractor F.J. Winston on a prospective location on the Jim Cottle Ranch and on Sept. 23, 1909, drilling operations began. Equipment breakdowns were frequent and sometimes lengthy, but finally, on Nov. 9, 1910, after 13 months of drilling, the Cottle No. 1 struck natural gas at a depth of 2660 feet. This discovery opened the Moran Field, and was the first commercial gas well completed in this vast west Texas area.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, January 3rd, 2015 at 9:04pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 484624 N 3601191|
|Decimal Degrees||32.54800000, -99.16376667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 32.88', W 99° 9.826'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 32' 52.8" N, 99° 9' 49.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near TX-6, Moran TX 76464, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.