(front)(Continued on other side)
Crossville, once known as a little village, was named by James A. Copeland because of the area's many crossroads. In the mid-1800s, mail was brought through Crossville from Rome, GA and Guntersville, AL by stagecoach. The first church was a Methodist Episcopal Church, Pine Bark Church (formed before War Between the States). The first school was built in the late 1800s at Bryant's Chapel Church. The first post office was established in 1870. A.C. Copeland was postmaster. In 1888, G.W. Justice established the first business. In 1901, W.B. Jones installed machinery for cotton mills, and the first car came through Crossville. A government distillery was once in operation here. The first telephone exchange was by J.J. England who built the first and only hotel Crossville ever had. The first service station was operated by George Jones. Sam P. Smith, Crossville's first doctor, traveled on horseback to see patients. Until 1914, only two stores and a few homes made up the town. The first bank opened in 1914 by N.W. Black & Boyce Raines.
(Continued from other side)
In 1919, Charley Crump, J.K. Dobbs, B.F. Kirby, A.C. Copeland, Walter Roden, G.W. Justice, J.M. Carnes and J.T. Gaines worked to incorporate the town. C.J. Crump was the first mayor. Little progress was made and the township failed as incorporated. On December 21, 1942, the town was incorporated for the second time. Dr. L.F. Erwin was chosen mayor. In 1948, C.W. (Bill) Russell was elected mayor. Colonel Mack Kilcrease was hired as legal advisor to the mayor/council. This group worked together to establish a solid town government that became the foundation for the Town of Crossville. The new Town Hall was dedicated on July 12, 1964.