(front)(Continued on other side)
No one knows for sure how Geraldine got its name. Some say it was named for a lovely Indian maiden. The first official record was on September 5, 1882 when Mr. William A. Johnson applied for the location of a new post office. The record of the post office shows that the name "Lee" was written on the first application, but was marked through and the name Geraldine was written. The Town of Geraldine was incorporated in 1956. The first city officials were: Mayor: Raymond Upton: Councilman: D.G. Morrow, Ernest Upton, T.A. Guest, V.W. Martin, and Leroy Porter: and Town Clerk: Verlon Masters. The Volunteer Fire Department was organized in 1958 with Arthur Porter as the first Fire Chief.
(Continued from other side)
The first Geraldine School was established in 1911. It was accredited for the 1920-21 school year. The high school band was organized in 1958. Geraldine School was accredited with the Association of High Schools and Colleges in 1961. Athletics have been important from the early 1920s to the present. The girls' basketball team was state champion in 1929. The boys' basketball team was state champion in 1931, 32, and 33. The girls' softball team was state champion in 1999 and 2000. The girls' volleyball team was state champion in 2001.