Built ca. 1876 for Huldah Coffer, this house was constructed on farmland that had been in the locally prominent Coffer family since the 18th century. Widows at age 22, Coffer became a farmer, growing wheat, oats, and Indian corn and raising a modest number of sheep and milk cows on her 261 acre farm. She shared her home with her daughter, Ella, and son-in-law, M.D. Hall, a lawyer and educator who was Superintendent of Fairfax County Schools from 1886 to 1929. Hall oversaw the transition from district school boards to the consolidated School Board of Fairfax County in 1922.