(1807-1843)The Friends Burying Grounds, once located here on Lot 17 in the Village of Damascus, is the oldest cemetery in Butler Township, Columbiana County. Expansion of the Friends Church necessitated the re-location of the Friends Burying Grounds. No markers were found to identify the graves of the 118 persons exhumed here. The exhumed remains were re-interred in the Damascus Cemetery on Valley Road, one block east of this location. The exhumation (2001-2002) was directed by Prof. Dr. John White of Youngstown State University, assisted by staff, students, and volunteers.
|Placed By||Lot 17, Friends Burying Grounds Committee, Damascus Friends Church, and The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, November 16th, 2014 at 9:06pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 503738 N 4527731|
|Decimal Degrees||40.90066667, -80.95561667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 54.04', W 80° 57.337'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 54' 2.4" N, 80° 57' 20.22" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 28843-28863 Walnut St, Damascus OH 44619, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.