Arthur William Phillips was born in Emlenton on July 29, 1888. His father, Samuel W. Phillips, successfully owned and operated oil wells in the Emlenton area. His mother, Clara Crawford Phillips, was a native of neighboring Scrubgrass Township. Following his graduation from Emlenton High School in 1906, he worked for several years in Hugh Gilmore's Drug Store, where Gilmore persuaded him to pursue a career in medicine. Some years later Phillips influenced Gilmore's son Hugh Jr. to do likewise, and the two thereafter remained lifelong friends.Following his graduation from Grove City College, Phillips entered the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in Philadelphia, graduating in 1916. His internship at the University hospital was interrupted by World War I; Phillips was commissioned a Lieutenant in the U.S. Navy. At the war's end he returned to complete his internship.In 1920 Dr. Phillips was appointed to the faculty of the University Medical School and also began his private medical practice in West Philadelphia, where he continued until his retirement in 1969 at age 81. Specializing in Internal Medicine, "Doc" Phillips maintained a rigorous routine of day and evening office hours and house calls, six days a week. He recalled many all-night vigils at the bedsides of patients. His publications and teaching lectures became known for their wealth of practical insights gained from his private practice.Dr. Phillips' lifelong affection for his hometown was reflected in the warm hospitality he and his wife May extended in their home to traveling locals. In 1969 they gave up their residence and his office to University campus expansion, living their remaining years in the old Phillips homestead in Emlenton-without central heating!Phillips early developed an interest and expertise in stock market investments-a talent learned from his father and other associates of the dynamic local Oil and Gas era. With the couple's modest life-style, a considerable fortune accumulated. Upon his death hin 1974 the Dr. and Mrs. Arthur W. Phillips Charitable Trust started dispensing funds to recipients near and far, especially favoring medical-related facilities. The Emlenton Area Medical Center - owned by Emlenton Borough - began in 1979 with a Phillips Trust bequest to acquire the properties. In 1980 the Center was constructed with a combination of private and Phillips Trust contributions.