1912The Alabama Legislature passed an act in February of 1893 calling for the construction of agricultural schools to be built in each of Alabama's congressional districts. The city of Albertville was chosen as the site for the seventh congressional district school and a large wooden building was constructed in 1894. On January 12, 1912, that building was destroyed by fire. Later that year, on the same site, a new three-story brick Classical Revival style building with a T-shaped floor plan was constructed. In 1936 the school became the center of the new Albertville High School complex controlled by the Albertville Board of Education. The old school was designated the Hobdy building in honor of the early school president, J.B. Hobdy. This school has continued to provide secondary education for more than 90 years. The building was listed to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1995.
|Placed By||Student Government Association of 2002-2003|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, November 9th, 2014 at 9:02am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 573155 N 3791564|
|Decimal Degrees||34.26265000, -86.20538333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 15.759', W 86° 12.323'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 15' 45.54" N, 86° 12' 19.38" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 498 E McCord Ave, Albertville AL 35950, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.