Site of the First Permanent Seat of Justice in Pike County
This section, settled in 1820, by Ebenezer Franklin, Daniel Shinn and the four Ross brothers, was known as Ross Settlement until 1823 when it was named Atlas. Pursuant to an act passed by the Illinois Legislature, in session, at Vandalia, in 1822, Atlas was selected as the site of the first permanent seat of justice in Pike County, which at the time included all of Illinois North of the Illinois and Kankakee Rivers. The site on section 27 was deeded to the county by Wm. Ross and Rufus Brown. The county seat was moved to Pittsfield in 1833.