Lower House, constructed ca. 1745; with later additions in the 1700s to ca. 1950.
Hampton National Historic SiteThis building, historically referred to as the "Lower House" by the Ridgely family, served a variety of purposes. Originally, Hampton's first master, Captain Charles Ridgely, lived in this house before the mansion was completed. In the 19th century, the building served primarily as a residence for the farm manager or overseer.
Close to both fields and farm slaves, it was "lower" in many respects: the overseer was lower in social standing than the estate owner and his quarters were located geographically lower than the mansion. Activities of the Home Farm were managed from this building. When Hampton became a National Historic Site in 1948, John Ridgely Jr., the last owner of the estate, moved from the mansion back here to the Lower House.
(Inscription under the bell in the upper left) The bell (ca.1850) atop the Lower House called the enslaved into and out of the field.
(Inscription beside the overseer in the lower left) On a large estate like Hampton, overseers were often caught between the demands of the masters and the needs of the workers. Hampton's overseers were a diverse group of men, including some who were relatives. Most stayed on about ten years.
|Historical Period||20th Century, 19th Century, 18th Century|
|Historical Place||Plantation, National Register of Historic Places, Home|
|Marker Type||Historic Home|
|Marker Class||Historical Marker|
|Marker Style||Free Standing|
|Placed By||National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, November 6th, 2014 at 9:02am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 363444 N 4364675|
|Decimal Degrees||39.42080000, -76.58640000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 25.248', W 76° 35.184'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 25' 14.8800" N, 76° 35' 11.0400" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||410, 443|
|Can be seen from road?||No|
|Is marker in the median?||No|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 604 Stone Barn Rd, Towson MD 21286, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.