There was once a large lake in the valley to the east. Early Indian settlers called it Lake Tolay, after their former chief; hence the name Lakeville for the community that developed on this site. The first boat landing was built in 1853. Passengers and freight were transferred from steamboats to the regular stage coach line running to Petaluma, Sonoma and other points. Settlers came and were deeded land from the original Vallejo holdings. A post office was founded here in 1859. Ranches, farms, dairies and vineyards were established in the surrounding area. The town was a bustling center, with a school, a blacksmith shop, hotels, saloons and dance hall, a winery, a race track, and even a bear and bull pit. Lakeville today is still a thriving agricultural community.
Seen through the porthole is the site of Donahue Landing, built by industrialist Peter Donahue in 1870 as the southern terminus for his SF&NP Railroad. Situated here were a roundhouse and turntable, depot, repair and carpenter shops, hotel, saloon, school house, two laundries, combined stable and dance hall, and dwellings. The town flourished for fourteen years as a water-rail transfer point. When SF&NP's new line from Petaluma to Tiburon Point was completed in 1884, the turntable and facilities were dismantled and moved to Tiburon. Only two buildings, the stable and a house, remain at Donahue Landing.