Henry Bruemmer, a native of Mecklenburg, Germany, learned the milling trade in his native land before emigrating. After spending a few years on the East Coast, he invested in a flourmill in Mishicot before operating a mill at Tisch Mills. In the mid-1860s, he and his family moved to what is now known as Bruemmerville where he purchased an interest in the Ahnapee Mill, eventually becoming the sole proprietor.
In addition to a flour and feed mill, the Bruemmer family enterprise also included a saw and planning mill. The mills were powered by water supplied by a dam on Silver Creek (the South Branch of the Ahnapee River) as well as steampower when necessary. The present dam was constructed in the early 1920s.
In addition to the mills, Bruemmerville eventually included an ice house, brickyard, cheese factory, two livery stables, and a tavern (part of which was built in 1875 by Randolph Bruemmer and is still in the community) as well as several homes including those owned by members of the Bruemmer family.
At one time, the mills made this one of the busiest areas of the county. The two stables were said to be able to hold up to 300 horses. However competition from other mills eventually led to the closing of the operation in the mid-1940s.
While the mill that was once located here is gone, the dam remains as a reminder of the days long past when this area was a bustling community providing services necessary to residents of our county from miles around.