This Fortress, originally known by its garrison as FORT PENOBSCOT and named by Admiral Sir George Collier in his reports FORT CASTINE received its present designation from its builder, British general Francis McLean upon its completion in December 1779. It was begun in June and was unsuccessfully besieged from July 29 to August 13 by the combined American Land and Naval Forces on the PENOBSCOT EXPEDITION and was the last post surrendered by the BRITISH at the close of the WAR for INDEPENDENCE. They again occupied the fort on September 1, 1814, rebuilt and mounted it with 60 cannon and evacuated a second time April 27, 1815. Immediately taken possession of the the UNITED STATES, it again rebuilt strengthened and garrisoned until March 1819, it was permanendy (sic) abandoned as a military post.
On June 18, 1780, General Peleg Wadworth and Major Benjamin Barton, held as prisoners of war and confined in the barracks, escaped by scaling the North wall during the night, thence following the course of Wadsworth Road to the cove and safety.
In 1811 Ebenezer Ball, and in 1825 Seth Elliot, were here hung for murder.