was built there was no circular road on this hill top. The original road from Williamstown, Mass. came through Pownal, Vt. to Bennington, and continued straight through the village, over this hill north towards Shaftsbury.
All of the buildings within the new circular road constructed around the Battle Monument were removed They included a carpenter shop, the Vermont Gazette Building (home of Vermont first newspaper), a book binder shop, a cabinet maker shop, a general store, the Cushman Tavern and several homes and barns.
The last building to be torn down was the State Arms Inn shown in this photograph, circa 1870. It was built in 1780 near this spot, and it had a ball room on the third floor.