In 1793 some forty families, including members of several clans, emigrated from Glenelg, Scotland, under the leadership of Alexander MacLeod and landed at St. John's Island (now Prince Edward Island). The following year they came to Glengarry County and petitioned for land. In August, 1794, the majority were authorized to occupy 200 acres each in the vicinity of Kirkhill, which was for many years known as Glenelg. Alexander MacLeod, who was located on this property in 1794, was instrumental in founding one of the earliest Presbyterian parishes in Upper Canada here in Lochiel Township. During the War of 1812 he served as a Captain in the 2nd Regiment of the Glengarry Militia and died March 4, 1850.