A Response To Conflict
In 1865, a military post was established here in response to the U.S.-Dakota Conflict of 1862. During the conflict, twenty-five settlers and an unknown number of Dakota were killed in what is now Kandiyohi County. A chain of small military posts, including this one, was established to enforce safety on the frontier. Both settlers and Dakota were forbidden from entering or using the area.
The military post enclosure was about 100 by 250 feet. Dummy canons were placed at each of the fort's corners to give the impression of military strength, and fortifications called "breastworks" surrounded the post. There were blockhouses where the soldiers lived, and nearby stables with room for fifty or more horses.
The last company stationed here was Company L of the 2nd Regiment, Volunteer Cavalry, under the command of Captain S. Bingham. The military post was shut down in 1866, when the area was considered safe again and settlers were allowed to return.
The former military post site is located 1.5 miles west and 2.2 miles north of this sign on County Road 1.
Illustration Courtesy of Robin Freese
Glacial Ridge Trail Scenic Byway
Funded in part by the Federal Highway Administration