The frame section of the structure dates to circa 1708 and is consistent with other Maryland courthouses in size, form, character and materials. The brick section was added circa 1820-40. Laws in the 18th century mostly were enforced by fines, but records show that more serious punishments were given. In 1718, a whipping post was erected at Queenstown. Records reveal that some offenders were subjected to lashing, time in the stocks, branding, or execution by hanging in gallows Field, south of the courthouse. In 1782, when the county seat was moved to Centreville, the building was adapted to various uses. In 1977, the Town purchased the building and a citizen-government coalition restored the frame section to its original appearance. The brick addition was renovated to accommodate offices for the Board of Town Commissioners.