Old Walton RoadWilliam Quarles, Revolutionary War officer, settled here ca. 1809, built a house, barns, general store, blacksmith shop, and school, and set up a post office. His residence was a noted inn along the old pike. When Putnam County was established in 1842, the site served as a county seat. Quarles' grandson, Stephen D. Burton, farmer, merchant, and slave trader, built this home before 1860.
|Placed By||Tennessee Bicentennial Committee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 27th, 2014 at 12:49pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 639293 N 4004755|
|Decimal Degrees||36.17756667, -85.45106667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 36° 10.654', W 85° 27.064'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||36° 10' 39.24" N, 85° 27' 3.84" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2638 Old Walton Rd, Cookeville TN 38506, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.