Selma Fortifications 1863-1865
— Battle of Selma —
At prominent positions, earthen forts were built with artillery in position to cover the ground over which an assault would have to be made.
Redoubt No. 24 anchored the City's defenses at the junction of Valley Creek & the Alabama River. The Fortifications ran northerly up the current Satterfield Street about 1,300 feet to Redoubt No. 23 and then continuing around the City like a horseshoe. The line turned at No. 24 and ran easterly about 1,000 feet along the current Riverview Street including one Redan.
Redoubt No. 24: By 7 pm on April 2nd, 1865 the Battle was over, the outer works, the inner works and the Railroad Depot had been abandoned.
Union troops rounded up hundreds of prisoners, but hundreds more escaped in the darkness down the Burnsville Road. These included Generals Forrest, Armstrong, and Roddey. To the west, many Confederate soldiers continued to fight the pursuing Union soldiers all the way down the eastern side of Valley Creek. They thought to escape in the darkness by swimming the swollen Alabama River near the mouth of Valley Creek or the Creek itself. Hundreds were captured by the 17th Indiana Infantry as they drove remnants of Armstrong's Brigade down Valley Creek to the River. Many were captured on what is today a City owned park just southwest of Redoubt No. 24. During his escape from the city, Forrest killed another Union trooper, the thirtieth he killed in personal combat in the war. Wilson lost 359 men in the battle, while Forrest lost over 2,700 casualties, mostly prisoner and 32 artillery pieces.
A Map of the City of Selma, Ala. and its defenses (April 2nd, 1865).