When the Golf Clubhouse was built in 1915 clay tennis courts were added in front of the building. The most famous tennis tournaments at The Greenbrier were the Mason and Dixon Championships held each April from 1921 to 1937. One of the final rounds in the Davis Cup selection, the matches received national attention. Winners included Bill Tilden, Francis Hunter, Donald Budge, Francis X. Shields, George Lott and Bryan "Bitsy" Grant.
The Indoor Tennis center opened in 1975 and was the home of World Seniors Tournaments for five years. Today's infinity-edge Outdoor Pool, built in 2004, is sited where an earlier outdoor pool opened in 1956. A gymnasium stood at this location during World War II where recuperating soldiers played basketball when The Greenbrier was an Army hospital. Before that, the resort's first Golf Clubhouse, built in 1910, stood on this site.