The Community of Silver Spring, Maryland, derives its name from this spring, discovered in 1840 by Francis Preston Blair and his daughter, Elizabeth. While riding on horseback in the woods beyond Washington, rays of sun on mica sand particles in the water caused Mr. Blair to name it "The Silver Spring." This also identified his estate and summer home built in 1842.The Allied Civic Group, Inc,
This park was acquired in 1942 by the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission. It was restored and dedicated on May 28, 1955 by the following organizations "as an ever-flowing tribute to the men and women responsible for the greatness of Silver Spring, Maryland, and its bright future through civic a community service."
The Silver Spring inter-club council
The American Institute of Architects (Potomac Valley Chapter)
The Silver Spring Board of Trade
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission