Publisher Accused of Treason and ExiledJohn Leeds Barroll first walked these courthouse grounds, as a prominent Kent County lawyer before becoming a newspaper publisher. He was admitted to the bar in 1852 and served as the county State's Attorney, 1854-1856, then founded the Kent Conservator in 1859. Federal officials deemed treasonous an 1863 article reprinted in Barroll's newspaper from the St. Mary's Beacon, of Leonardtown, Md. Gen. Robert C. Schenck ordered a company of the 2nd Regiment Eastern Shore Volunteer Infantry to Chestertown, and Barroll was arrested on April 17. James L. Downs, the author of the original article, was arrested at the same time. In a May 5 letter to the Richmond Enquirer, Barroll and Downs described being held at Baltimore's Fort McHenry and raged about their treatment. "We had not been allowed even a form of a trial, nor officially notified of the charges against us," they wrote.
|Series||This marker is part of the Maryland Civil War Trails series|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 5th, 2014 at 3:21am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 408020 N 4340517|
|Decimal Degrees||39.20906667, -76.06535000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 12.544', W 76° 3.921'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 12' 32.64" N, 76° 3' 55.26" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||410, 443|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 100-198 Court St, Chestertown MD 21620, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.