In 1858, Nephi Johnson, one of Brigham Young's scouts, with a party of Indian guides arrived at the mouth of the canyon. Due to superstition, the Indians refused to enter the canyon. Nephi Johnson, alone, followed up river to the Narrows, a place "where the sun is seldom seen," returning to the mouth at nightfall. Isaac Buhannin, an early settler, seeing the spires remarked, "Surely this is God's first temple and should be called Zion." William Heaps helped to build homes for the early settlers in the canyon.