In 1891, a small group of glass-making artisans from Seneca County, Ohio, founded the Seneca Glass Company. For almost 100 years, Seneca Glass Company's highly skilled craftspeople manufactured glassware and exquisitely etched lead crystal by hand, sometimes taking twelve man hours to produce a single goblet. Elmer Jacobs, a prominent Morgantown architect, designed the towering 100-foot conical glass furnace and a large part of the original brick factory. Skilled people were necessary in a plant with with the technology of the Seneca Glass Company. Many original workers came from Europe, particularly from France, Belgium and Germany, and lived in the neighborhood surrounding the factory, which was also called Seneca. Women were etchers, washers and packers in the factory. Customers include Eleanor Roosevelt, President Lyndon Johnson and the U.S. State Department. The factory closed in 1983 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.