In 1947, E.L. Bryan and the Foy Arrington family bought a surplus quonset hut, one of the thousands ot the all-purpose metal buildings made during World War II. The hut was moved to Rockdale to become the core of the second movie theater in town. Local carpenter Jack Kyle, Sr. directed cseveral Rockdale high school students to build the sloping concrete floor and facade for the streamline moderne-style theater, named for the Arringtons' daughter, Katherine. A half-cylinder of corrugated steel sheets forms the walls and roof. The entry includes a stepped plaster wall outlined in neon, and entry drum of plaster and glass blocks, paired double doors, a central sigh and large letters spelling K-A-Y on each side of the rotunda.Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2013
The owners, Mr. and Mrs. Foy Arrington, said the quonset hut architecture "Lends itself naturally to excellent acoustics and a pleasing interior appearance." Construction of the Kay Theater was completed in time for a Thanksgiving 1947 opening. At a dedication ceremony the next night, postmaster Clyde Franklin was master of ceremonies and Mayor J.B. Newton introduced "Rolling Home," starring Russell Hayden, Jean Parker and Raymond Hatton. Large box fans made the theater one of the few air conditioned locations in town. Mr. Arrington manned the ticket booth and was the projectionist, and his wife managed the concessions. As with similar facilities at the time, African American patrons walked upstairs to separate balcony seating. The Kay Theater closed in 1962 and was vacant for many years before restoration began in 2004 through the Kay Theater Foundation. Today, the last remaining theater in Milam County recalls a time when going to the movies was a cultural event and central to the social life of many young people.