Built in 1895 by Joseph W. Russ, Jr., a prominent landowner and merchant. Neoclassical alterations were made in 1910, by his wife, Bettie Philips Russ. Their only child, Frances Russ Dickerson, lived here for most of her 89 years. Five generations of this family lived in the intriguing house.
In 1995, the family deeded the home to the Jackson County Chamber of Commerce, who rehabilitated it as the Chamber of Commerce headquarters between 1996 and 2000. The Russ House Commons, completed in 2000, reunites the home with its original frontage.
The house is on the National Register of Historic Places.