1922-1970In 1922, Robert T. Gilmore (1879-1948), born in Monticello, founded Gilmore Academy, one of Jackson County's first African-American high schools. Trustees of Marianna's African-American community purchased this three-acre site in 1907 and raised $2,500 of the $4,500 needed to qualify for a Rosenwald Fund grant to build a two-story, limestone, six-teacher school. Created by philanthropist Julius Rosenwald (1862-1932) and educator Booker T. Washington (1856-1915), the fund financed the building of 5,395 schools between 1912 and 1932 to address the dismal state of education for southern blacks. After graduating its first class in 1931, the Academy was renamed Jackson County Training School (J.C.T.S.) As enrollment grew, grades 1-6 moved to the nearby Baptist Academy. In 1952, 85 years after the Colored School Society petitioned the state to build a school for newly freed slaves, the County built an elementary school on South Street. A high school was built on the same site in 1956, and Gilmore Academy closed. In 1970, 16 years after desegregation, J.C.T.S. became Marianna Middle School. Although the schools were separate and unequal, principals, faculty and staff helped thousands of students become productive citizens.
|Series||This marker is part of the Rosenwald Schools series|
|Placed By||The Gilmore Academy-Jackson County Training School Alumni Association, Inc. and the Florida Department of State|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, September 17th, 2014 at 11:23pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16R E 668240 N 3405902|
|Decimal Degrees||30.77423333, -85.24195000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 46.454', W 85° 14.517'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 46' 27.24" N, 85° 14' 31.02" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2923-2935 Orange St, Marianna FL 32448, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.