West Lee Wright laid out Medora 1853. Sample of local shale was made into brick "excellent for building and paving" 1904. Medora Shale Brick Company organized 1904. Construction began by 1910, one south of here along Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Railroad, with six beehive kilns—round structures wrapped with steel bands and squared chimneys.
By 1927, ten kilns were at the site. Plant closed 1990s. In 1007, ten kilns remained. Medora was part of a large industry making a variety of clay products for agriculture, street paving, and building construction, which contributed to Indiana's growth as a leading industrial state. In 1920, Indiana was seventh in U.S. for production of clay products.