Lawrence County Hospital Association was organized July 15, 1903 to build, maintain, and manage a hospital in Bedford. Opened first building 1904. State, district, and local Works Progress Administration officials and city and county officials approved and turned over this building—the hospital's third—to Lawrence County, October 22, 1941.
Open House and public tours held October 23, 1941. State WPA felt it was one of the "most beautiful building construction jobs ever completed in the state by WPA workers." Removal of patients and equipment from second building completed November 1, 1941. Addition started 1949. Major modernization and expansion of hospital was dedicated May 9, 1982.