On November 10, 1943, the city of new Orleans dedicated the first United States monument of a woman in service uniform: "Molly Marine." A local recruiter commissioned the statue to help recruit women during World War II. Renowned artist Enrique Alferez, a Mexican immigrant who wanted to be a Marine, donated his services. Due to wartime restrictions, the statue was cast in concrete. In 1998, the Molly Marine Restoration Society was formed by the Marine Corps League, Marine Support Group of New Orleans, and Women Marines Association to restore and preserve Molly in perpetuity. This bronze is a replica of the original which stands proudly in New Orleans. The support and generous contributions of CWO3 Kim T. Adamson (USMCR) and the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation made this monument possible.
(On front of statue base) Dedicated To The Women Who Have Earned The Title, Marine
2 September 2000
(On back of statue base) Erected By Molly Marine Restoration Society