La Pista de Vida Agua (Trail of Living Water) crossed the Llano Estacado, linking several lakes in the region. Three lakes in Bailey County lie along the trail: Coyote Lake, where the Mackenzie Expedition camped; Monument Lake; and White Lake in Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge. By the late 1700s, a trading route, known as the Comanchero Trail, developed along the road. In the late 1800s, the Ft. Sumner Wagon Road, leading from Colorado City (Mitchell Co.) to Ft. Sumner, New Mexico, where it turned north to join the Santa Fe Trail, overlapped La Pista de Vida Agua. By 1881, a mail route followed the trail. Today, the lakes, which had been used since prehistoric times, no longer provide water, as there is only seepage from springs that once flowed freely.