In 1923, Blue Ribbon Bakery and City Bakery, each of which had opened in 1921, consolidated. By 1925, this establishment was known as Slaton Baking Company. In 1943, the Wilson family purchased the business. The Wilson's overcame rationing during World War II to continue a thriving business. Slayton Bakery introduced sliced hamburger and hot dog buns to the area, and distributed Mrs. Baird's products while continuing to produce pastries made on site. The bakery later added homemade flour tortillas to their menu. In 1982, the business moved to its present location. Today, Slaton Bakery is a community institution, and continues as one of the oldest still-operating bakeries in the State of Texas.