The historic Guffey Bridge is an elegant Parker-through truss railroad bridge, the State's largest artifact, and the site of the most spectacular train wreck in Idaho. The Boise, Nampa and Owyhee Railroad (BNO), was organized by owner Col. Wm. Dewey to transport gold and silver ore from the Silver City mining district.The bridge was constructed between May 14 and Sept. 7, 1897. This 450 ton bridge was, by all accounts, the tallest in the U.S. for many years.
Unfortunately, the mines closed before the bridge was completed. Although it never hauled ore, shipments of livestock and other agricultural products kept the railway busy until 1947.The bridge saw more sheep and cattle transported across its span than any other in the west. The BNO railway was taken over by the Idaho Northern Railway in 1907, and absorbed by the Oregon Short Line in 1912, then a subsidiary of the Union Pacific.
After the line closed, the bridge was rescued from being sold for scrap.Canyon County Parks, Recreation and Waterways, Idaho State Historical Society, Idaho Military, Idaho Fish and Game, Idaho Heritage Trust and the National Trust for Historical Preservation, all contributed to the preservation of the bridge. The Guffey was entered in the National Register for Historic Places in 1978.The bridge was restored and the re-dedicated on Sept. 7, 1991. This pedestrian bridge allows visitors to enjoy the trails and views of the Snake River Canyon and Celebration Park.