1st County Seat for Walton County
— 1828-1885 —Eucheeanna, the first Scottish settlement in territorial Florida, was named in honor of the Euchee Indians. Tradition holds that the first slave child was born in the settlement. Eucheeanna consisted of a school, court house, jail, Masonic and Odd Fellows halls, general stores, a sawmill and a grist mill. The first monument in Florida erected to confederate dead was located in Eucheeanna in 1868 by the Ladies' Monument Association. At that time, Eucheeanna was the county seat for Walton County until the court house was burned by an arsonist in May, 1885. On May 27, 1886, a commission approved moving the Walton County seat to DeFuniak Springs. Finally, the monument was moved to Euchee Valley Presbyterian Church and later moved to DeFuniak Springs. The Civil War came to Eucheeanna on September 23, 1864 when the federal troops, under General Ashboth, came to raze and plunder on their way to Marianna and Tallahassee.
|Placed By||Walton County Board of County Commissioners and The Florida Department of State|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 at 1:30am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16R E 591470 N 3390325|
|Decimal Degrees||30.64208333, -86.04541667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 38.525', W 86° 2.725'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 38' 31.50" N, 86° 2' 43.50" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 301 McKinnon Bridge Rd, Ponce De Leon FL 32455, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.