During Florida's British Colonial period, 1763-1783, Doctor Andrew Turnbull established the largest North American colony at this site. Approximately 1300 Minorcans, Greeks, and Italians comprised the colony named after Smyrna, Asia Minor, the birthplace of Dr. Turnbull's wife.
The colony experienced success in producing indigo dye, rice, hemp, and other crops for shipment to England. Buildings, wharfs, and a canal system, still visible today, were constructed.
Despite successes, after nine years the colony failed. Approximately 600 survivors of the colony relocated to St. Augustine where many descendants reside.