Les Fortifications de Victoria-EsquimaltFrom 1878 to 1956 coast artillery installations protected the city of Victoria and the naval base at Esquimalt. Temporary batteries were constructed in response to the Anglo-Russian crisis of 1878, and in the 1890s Canada negotiated with Great Britain for the building of a series of permanent defences to be manned by British troops. Canada took control of these fortifications in 1906 and, by the end of the Second World War, they had been rebuilt and greatly expanded. They were declared obsolete in 1956.
|Placed By||Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 7:20pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10U E 466443 N 5364583|
|Decimal Degrees||48.43350000, -123.45366667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 48° 26.01', W 123° 27.22'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||48° 26' 0.60" N, 123° 27' 13.20" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2978-3308 Fort Rodd Hill Rd, Victoria BC V9C 1H9, CA|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.