Henry Wick's prosperous 1,400-acre farm yielded a bounty typical of this area: wheat, corn, hay, rye, and timber. Orchards provided apples for cider; a kitchen garden near the house produced vegetables.
Then Washington's army arrived. For three winters (1779-1782) parts of the Continental Army camped on Wick's farm and the rest of Jockey Hollow. Rows of log huts and company streets lined slopes once covered by woods. During the harsh winter of 1779-1780 alone the Continental Army consumed more than 600 acres of farmer Wick's trees - trees to build shelter, cook meals, and warm chilled limbs. That winter, the Wick House itself served as headquarters for Major General Arthur St. Clair, commander of the Pennsylvania Line.