This marker consists of a number of inscribed metal strips embedded in the walkway.
1853 - Map of Oakland is laid out by J. Kellersberg showing seven public squares, including Lafayette Square. Six are symmetrical around Broadway, the seventh is City Hall Square.
1879 - "The City hasn't duly considered the importance of these squares. As the City becomes more densely developed, open space will become priceless" - Mayor Washburn Andrus.
1883 - Anthony Chabot builds the Chabot Observatory and Hall of Science and includes an 8" refractor telescope, chronometer and chronograph for astronomical use.
1892 - The Observatory is rebuilt with many improvements. The Assembly Hall is used for chool festivals and patriotic exercises' by Oakland High School sited across 11th Street.
1918 - The Observatory is replaced by a new observatory in the Oakland Hills to take advantage of cleaner air and less night lighting.
1929 - The original Observatory buildings are torn down. A time capsule dating from 1881 is discovered in its cornerstone.
1930's - The Square is used as a meeting place for unemployed men and so-called agitators to the point that a debate permit is revolted in 1934. Soup kitchens are set up during the Depression.
1940's - "Petticoat Corner" is established at the Square for the exclusive use of the "weaker sex" so the female population will not be subjected to the "sit and argue boys."
1951 - "Alfresco checkers and card games are favorite pastimes in Lafayette Square" - Jack Burroughs, Oakland Tribune.
1958 - Lafayette Square is renovated with a new canopy restroom, horseshoe pit and game tables with funds raised by the Lakeview Junior Women's Club.
1960's and 1970's - The Square gradually become known as "Old Man's Park" and continues to be used by the public for leisure and political activities.
1980's - Due to a decline in social programs and economic conditions, there is a increase in transient and homeless populations in the Square.
1985 - Lafayette Square is designated as a City historical landmark. Mary Ann "Mother" Wright begins a food ministry at the Square.
1989 - A City task force recommends removal of the public restroom and picnic tables and that aid to the homeless be moved to Jefferson Park. Oakland Union of the Homeless protests.
1993 - The City's Homeless Commission and the Center for Urban Family Life meet with park regulars to develop a strategy for Lafayette Square improvements.
1994 - The LEF Foundation funds two local design firms to conduct broad-based community workshops and develop a master plan for the Square.
1995 - The City adopts the Lafayette Square - Old Man's Park Master Plan.
1996 - The City receives a National Park Service Urban Parks and Recreation Recovery Program, (UPARR) grant to construct new restrooms in the Square.
1997 - Measure I, a municipal bond for park improvements passed by the voters of Oakland funds Phase 1 improvements.
1998 - The Healthy City Oakland Fund is contracted by the City to oversee the renovation of Lafayette Square Park.
1999 - Phase 1 Master Plan improvements are completed, including the restrooms, play area, horseshoe pits and the grass hillock. An all-day celebration is held.
2000 - The Square receives an Environmental Design Research Association/PLACES Design Award for excellence in the design of public spaces.
2001 - Phase II of Master Plan is completed. Proposition 12, a state bond, provides funding for the completion of the Master Plan.