The Folsom Street marker originally consisted of six plaques arranged in a 2 X 3 pattern embedded in the sidewalk. Two of the plaques, the top right plaque and the center right plaque, been lost due to the placement of some utility boxes. The top left plaque is the title plaque and may contain some text. The other plaques contain biographical information on the person for whom the street is named, appropriate quotation(s) and relevant illustrations, cast in bronze.
In February of 1853, the United States Topographical Engineers published their first detailed survey of the city, showing new streets, many named for army and navy officers. Fremont and Folsom were prominent officers; Harrison, Bryant and King held important city and port positions' Spear and Brannon had been pioneers in Yerba Buena before San Francisco has its name.
"It is impossible to foretell what will be the ultimate result of this sudden development of wealth. It is sufficiently obvious, however, that the country will be prematurely filled by a restless, excitable, adventurous, and reckless population." - Captain Joseph Folsom